Is hacking up babysitters getting a little lonely? Well, keep reading to find out if your disconnected friend group can come together using cross-play to defeat Jason Voorhees as we answer the question, is Friday the 13th: The Game cross-platform?
Key Takeaways (TL;DR)
- Friday the 13th: The Game is NOT cross-platform and is unlikely to ever be.
- Cross-platform refers to the ability of someone playing on one system to connect with someone playing on a different system.
- Friday the 13th: The Game is available on PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch.
- While the game may currently be dead and buried, there is still hope for a sequel or spiritual successor.
Is Friday the 13th: The Game Cross-Platform?
Friday the 13th: The Game started out strong, earning itself a cult following over the years. However, there have been a number of hurdles to its success, most notably in lawsuits and rights disputes with Sean Cunningham, director of the original Friday the 13th (1980) movie.
Friday the 13th: The Game is NOT cross-platform, and thanks to the behind-the-scenes troubles, it is all but certain that it never will be.
Will Friday the 13th Ever Be Cross Platform?
Though Friday the 13th: The Game still has a vibrant player base, Gun Media shut down the dedicated servers, as they simply were not making much money off of the game. It is now peer-to-peer and the online is still relatively strong. Coupled with the drama and lawsuits, it looks unlikely that the game will ever see any future updates or a sequel.
However, IllFonic went on to develop Predator: Hunting Grounds, another licensed product and asymmetrical multiplayer game. What’s better is that Predator: Hunting Grounds IS cross-platform.
All teams involved have stated that they’d like to continue to work on horror games in the future, so we can all cling to the hope of seeing a sequel or another spiritual successor.
What Does Cross-Platform Mean?
Usually, when you play a video game online, you will only be able to connect and play with users on the same system. If you’re playing on Xbox, you will connect with other Xbox users. If you’re on PlayStation, you will only connect with other PlayStation users.
“Cross-Platform” refers to the ability of someone playing on one system to connect and play with someone who is playing on a different system.
If you have a PC, but you want to play with your best friend who has a Nintendo Switch, that would normally be an issue. But a cross-platform game could allow you both to play together.
What Platforms is Friday the 13th: The Game Available On?
Published by Gun Media, and developed by both IllFonic and Black Tower Studios, Friday the 13th: The Game (based on the movie series of the same name) has been released on three systems:
- It saw a digital-only release for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One on May 26th, 2017.
- Following the cult success of the digital version, a physical release for the same three systems happened on October (Friday) 13th, 2017.
- Two years later, after a number of disputes looked like the game was dead and buried, Friday the 13th: Ultimate Slasher Switch Edition was released on August 13th, 2019 (another Friday) for the Nintendo Switch.
While he may currently be dead and buried, Jason doesn’t always stay that way. Thanks for reading our article answering the question is Friday the 13th: The Game cross-platform?