Do you have a slow computer? That’s probably the case, as you did google something along the lines of “how to make HOI4 run faster“.
HOI4 is pretty demanding when it comes to computer hardware — and if you are using a laptop, you may struggle when actually playing the game due to framerate.
But that’s all right because we will be attempting to fix that in this article.
There are many things you can do to speed up the game, and in this article — we will be covering the best ways to make HOI4 run faster.
How to Speed up Hearts of Iron 4 – The Basics
The first thing you will want to do when attempting to speed up your game is to turn off a few options that may be adding to the lag.
Firstly, you will want to turn off the day and night cycle. This option changes the map’s appearance from night to day and causes some lag.
Furthermore, you will want to disable Fog of War, which adds a cloudy appearance above other nations. Even though this looks cool, it doesn’t do much except slow your game down.
To do both of these, you must click the buttons located in the bottom right corner of the screen. There should be various buttons found here; click the ones in the bottom left, and bottom middle.
Alternatively, you can hover over the buttons and the first should say ‘Day and Night Cycle’ and the second, ‘Fog of War.’
Within the Graphical Options Menu
To continue to make HOI4 run faster, you will have to enter the graphical options menu. To do this, you will have to:
- Click Escape.
- Click the ‘Game Options’ Button, located in the center of the screen.
- Click the ‘Video’ Tab.
Here, you can modify various aspects of the game to improve performance. Let’s go through the various things you are going to want to disable within this menu:
- Disable Cities: The first thing you will want to do is uncheck the ‘Cities’ option, which will visually remove cities from the map.
- Disable 3D Trees: Next, disable 3D trees. These don’t add anything to the game, as they are just visually appealing and not strategic.
- Disable 3D Buildings: Same as 3D trees, these don’t add anything to the game and are visually appealing.
- Disable 3D Units: Again, just visually appealing, not strategic.
Those were some of the minor adjustments you can make — but there is more. Here are the four main settings that you are going to want to turn off if you want to make HOI4 run faster:
- Disable High Quality Pixel Shaders: This improves the graphics quality.
- Disable Reflections: This will remove the reflection on the water.
- Disable Weather: This will disable the visual aspect of the weather.
- Disable Shadows: Disabling shadows will remove the shadows of various objects and things, significantly improving performance.
HOI4 Map Mods to Increase Performance
If you bought the HOI4 on Steam, you are fortunate enough to have access to the Steam Workshop, where you can subscribe to different free mods.
Within this catalog, a subsection goes under the tag ‘Graphical Improvement Mods.’ In in, you’ll have access a wide variety of mods that will improve the game’s performance by adjusting the game’s look.
That’s it! Those were the best ways to improve the performance speed of HOI4. Hopefully, you will no longer deal with the irritating lag or have a drop in frame rate.
If you enjoyed our guide on ‘How to Make HOI4 Run Faster: Hearts of Iron 4‘, check out our other articles about HOI4.