HOI4 is a fairly demanding when it comes to computer hardware — and if you are using a laptop, you may struggle when actually playing the game, due to framerate.
But that’s alright, because we will be attempting to fix that in this article.
There are many things you can do to speed up the game, and in this article — we will be covering the best ways to make HOI4 run faster.
How to Speed up Hearts of Iron 4 – The Basics
The first things you are going to want to do when attempting to speed up your game is to turn off a few options that may be adding to the lag.
Firstly, you are going to want to turn off the day and night cycle (discussed how to later). This option changes the maps appearance from night to day, but also causes some lag.
Furthermore, you will want to disable Fog of War, which adds a cloudy appearance above other nations.
Even though this looks somewhat cool, it really doesn’t do much except slow your game down.
To do both of these these, you must click the buttons, located in the bottom right corner of the screen. There should be various buttons located here, click the ones located left most.
Alternatively, you can hover over the buttons, and one should say ‘Day and Night Cycle’, and the other ‘Fog of War’.
Within the Graphical Options Menu
To continue to make HOI4 run faster, you will have to enter the graphical options menu. To do this, you will have to:
- Click Escape
- Click ‘Game Options’ Button, located in the centre of the screen
- Click the ‘Video’ Tab
Here, you can modify various aspects of the game to improve the performance. Lets go through the various things you are going to want to disable within this menu:
- Disable Cities: The first thing you are going to want to do, is to uncheck the ‘Cities’ option. This will remove cities from the map visually.
- Disable 3D Trees: Next, disable 3D trees. These really don’t add anything to the game, as they are just visually appealing, and not strategic.
- Disable 3D Buildings: Same as 3D trees, these don’t add anything to the game, and are just visually appealing.
- Disable 3D Units: Again, just visually appealing, not strategic.
Those were some of the minor adjustments you can make — but there is more. Here are the 4 main settings that you are going to want to turn off, if you want to make HOI4 run faster:
- Disable High Quality Pixel Shaders: This just improves the graphics quality.
- Disable Reflections: This will remove the reflection on the water.
- Disable Weather: This will disable the visual aspect of the weather.
- Disable Shadows: Disabling shadows will remove the shadows of various objects and things, which will significantly improve performance.
HOI4 Map Mods to Increase Peformance
If you bought the HOI4 on steam, you are fortunate enough to have access to the steam workshop — in which, you can subscribe to various free mods.
Within this catalogue, there is a subsection that go under the tag ‘Graphical Improvement Mods’.
Within the section, you will access to a wide variety of mods, that will improve the games performance by adjusting the look of the game.
That’s it! There were the best ways to improve the performance speed of HOI4. Hopefully now, you will no longer how to deal with the irritating lag, or have drop in frame rate.
If you enjoyed our guide on ‘How to Make HOI4 Run Faster: Hearts of Iron 4‘, than check out our other articles about HOI4, or maybe perhaps you are an Europa Universalis 4 enthusiast like we are. In which case, check out some of our articles about the game HERE.